Oct 31, 2012

Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup (Carrabba's Copycat)


I went to Carrabba's Italian Restaurant a month or so ago. My daddy is a General Manger for Outback Steakhouse in Albuquerque, and the restaurants are owned by the same company, so when he is in town, we get to eat with him at Carrabba's for free (and Outback too, yum!!) I got this soup before my spaghetti and it was soo good. I liked it even better than my pasta. So I immediately went home and looked for the recipe, and found it over at Food.com. I made it a couple weeks ago and it was just like it. And it made a ton. We had it for dinner two nights and lunch one day, and my husband had it for lunch another day. I should freeze it next time. 
But I made a couple changes to the recipe, but you can find the original HERE.


Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup (Carrabba's Copycat)

1 lb Italian Sausage
1/2 onion, diced
1 butternut squash or zucchini, chopped
1 C butternut squash or zucchini puree (optional) SEE PUREE POST
4 C Chicken Broth
2 C Beef Broth
1-2 C water
1 chicken bullion cube
2 TB chopped garlic
1 Can diced Tomatoes
2 C Dry Lentils
2 tsp Salt
Basil
Oregano
Red Pepper Flakes
Black Pepper

Parsley 
Thyme
Garlic Powder


Directions: 
Brown Sausage with onions, drain fat. Add garlic, cook about 30 sec. 
In large pot, add all ingredients, including Italian Sausage. 
Bring to a boil
Reduce heat, cover. 
Simmer about 1 hour until lentils are tender.
Sprinkle with parmesan if desired. 
Serve! 






1 comment:

Kourtney said...

hmmm... think this would be a way to get max to eat lentils and squash? He refuses to touch either of those. But if they're hidden in a soup...