Feb 13, 2011

Book Pages Wreath

So here is the project that I worked on the last week and a half. I made a wreath using book pages and I am not going to lie. I just hung it up yesterday and I am loving it. It turned out so great!


Here is the tutorial on how to make it:

You need a book, I got a book about 400 pages long at the dollar store. I didn't want to use any of my books, I like them too much! Rip out some pages, I think I used a 150 -200 pages or so.
Start off by cutting out a circle in the pages, I used a bowl to trace my circle, so about the size of the width of a average bowl. Then You cut the circle into a spiral as shown in the picture above. Then roll up the spiral to form a kind of flower shape. Start rolling from the outside of the circle and keep going to the inside of the circle. Start out small and tight and then make your circles bigger as you go, glue it all together with your gun it all together at the end. I suggest gluing as you go as well so that it doesn't all unravel when you get done. I also tried using Elmer's glue cause I always burn myself with the glue gun, but the elmers didn't dry quickly enough, so it didn't really work so I took out the trusty old glue gun and used that and it worked so much better and I actually didn't burn myself this whole project, not too badly at least.
Once you have your pages rolled into flowers, take a brown stamp pad and rub it along the flower's edges to give it a burned edges look.
Now make llike a hundred more flowers!


Next I took a large cross stitching hoop (is that what it is called?) as the base of my wreath. You could use a styrofoam wreath too, but I had the hoop so I decided to use that and it worked out pretty well.
Wrap a few of your book pages around the wreath to start out with. Now take the flowers and glue them on the wreath. I did them on the top, then put more flowers on the sides of the wreath. I tried to make them all kind of face the front of the wreath so you could see them. Once you have all the wreath pretty much covered, I made some small flowers ( I used a cup to size the circle) and I put the small flowers in any empty spots to make the wreath more full.



Now top it with a pretty brown bow and you are done.
The rolling of the flowers is pretty easy but it really does take a long time, It took me about a week to do them, and I did them most of the day while I was working... So it is definately a project that takes time, but if you know that it will take some time, just do it on your down time when your watching t.v. or something.
I also wanted to put something in the middle of the wreath. So I got a wood P at the craft store, and so I painted it with some brown paint, sanded the edges down and hung it up with more ribbon in the middle of the wreath.







36 comments:

Ashley W. said...

That looks great! I'm in the middle of a similar wreath so I understand the time and effort that went into this! I love the use of the hoop as the wreath base!

brokeintrovert said...

Love this wreath!

Kim Ballor said...

You have inspired me, I have been wanting to try those spiral flowers. Love them how you did them!

jandjhome said...

Beautiful. I love your take on the book page wreath. Those flowers are so cute and I love how it all looks together.

Shanae Branham said...

What a beautiful wreath! Thanks for sharing. By the way, I have a contest giveaway on my blog you might find fun. Take a look. triumphandtears.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

I absolutely love this! we are having a link party if you would like to come join! http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-make-your-blog.html

abeachcottage said...

Wow! That looks amazing. What a great project. Love how it looks!

Janna said...

Great idea!

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

What a beautiful wreath! Great job! :)

c.w.frosting said...

Gorgeous! Very Smith & Hawken but even better with the monogram! I will have to try this will my extra book pages.

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

Ladybird Ln said...

Wow, what a beautiful wreath, I love what you have done with the edges!

ladybirdln.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Love this wreath! Thank you for this darling idea; I am going to try to make one and hopefully it turns out just as cute as yours.
-emily
www.nestnestingnested.blogspot.com

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

You've been featured! http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-round-up_20.html

extreme personal measures said...

cute!

Denise
Extreme Personal Measures

Unknown said...

That looks great. I made a bookpage wreath a while back, but it is totally different. It's funny how we all put our different spin on things:) Mine is pictured in my latest post. I'm your newest follower, too! Yay!

Miranda
www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

Shawna Bates said...

Very Nice! I love how you did this. and it's so different then all the other book page wreaths spreading like wild fire thru blog land. You should be proud of it it's awesome! Thanks for sharing the how to!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

This is so beautiful. I've mad book wreaths using the rolled "cones" but this is so elegant looking!

ArtfullyJune said...

Looks great. I don't think I could roll up that many flowers to make one for myself. :)

Nicole @ Wohler's World said...

I love it!! Your wreath is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! Visiting from Somewhat
Simple

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Wow, this turned out simply stunning! Well done!! That probably took a lot of patience! Very worth it!

~Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

Deanna said...

Beautiful and simple wreath! I'll have to make myself one :)

Deanna
http://deelitefulcreations.blogspot.com/

Courtney @ The Cozy Home said...

I love this! I saw a post for book letters. I think this would be an excellent companion project! Thanks so much for sharing!

http://thecozyhome.blogspot.com

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great idea. It would be great if you could stop by my blog Monday and add your project to The More The Merrier Link Party.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Laurel {Make and Takes} said...

Very pretty! I like how it's thinner than some wreaths I've seen. I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Alison Agnew said...

really cute project! so glad you shared it this week.

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Kelsey@RedefiningDomestic said...

I love the book page wreath! I love the way the brown looks too!

dennise said...

I really like this style for a bookpage wreath. Great tip about the ink thanks!

Michelle said...

This is gorgeous...it has such a classic sophisticated feel!

Kelly said...

I love that you used an embroidery hoop! That's genius. Very pretty. I'm your newest follower!!

Come visit!



Kelly

Kitty B said...

This looks so time consuming....but so cute!!! I am always looking for great ideas for book pages! Thanks!!

misty w. said...

beautiful!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Thanks for the tutorial!

♥ Miss Tea said...

wow loving the paper wreath you made, you're so inspiring, i want to make my own too, need to gather the supplies now, thanks for sharing!

i'm your newest follower from the Bloggers Party and Hop at TypeAdecorating.

Susan at http://tea-diary.blogspot.com

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I'm your 100th follower! Yay! Great job on the wreath! Really appreciate you linking this up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to get started on mine. This will be a gret project for my daughter and I. Thank You for sharing!

HavasuLou said...

This is Gorgeous! Question: Do you know if there is some kind of craft spray that you could use on this to make it withstand some mild weather so it could be displayed outside on a door?
Thanks :)
Christinna