Jan 5, 2011

Pop! Pop! Pop!

Look what I got....
A brand new popcorn popper! 
This is a gift from my mom for Christmas.
I had one before that, that my mom had actually given me for a wedding shower present.
See I really love popcorn, but not so much the microwave stuff, mostly the homemade kind.
And I make it a lot!
So on Halloween when my husband and I went to sit down and have serial killer documentary night (yes that is how we spent our Halloween, and no, I am not creepy) I wanted to pop some popcorn to make this really yummy popcorn recipe that my mom makes (which I will get to later) my popcorn machine broke. It made this really loud noise and wouldn't pop the kernals, it just burnt the kernals. Well I was not pleased, not pleased at all. I really wanted that popcorn cause it was going to be a tradition that I made it every Halloween. I even tried popping popcorn on the stove, which I didn't even know how to do, and that ended not so well. So I eventually, after like an hour, gave up. But only after a lot of grumbling... And I could have bought another popcorn popper another night, I just didn't feel like buying another popper.
But my lovely mom bought me another one, hooray. Thanks mom!
Last night I took it out and finally got to have some homemade popcorn goodness.

Here is my mom's delicious marshmallow popcorn recipe that I talked about above. I didn't make it last night, I wanted something salty, not sweet. Plus I have way too many sweets in my house already. So the above pics are just regular butter popcorn. But this recipe is super duper fabulous and easy. I usually don't like sweet popcorn, kettle corn, that stuff is sick! But this kind I really love. My hubby ate it a few years ago for the first time and I swear he talked about it for a year...

Mom's Marshmallow Popcorn
1 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
3 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. salted peanuts
1 c. melted butter
1 c. sugar
1 /2 c. karo light corn syrup

In a sauce pan melt butter, sugar, and karo syrup, simmer 3 minutes stirring constantly. In the mean time pop the popcorn kernals and place popped corn in large bowl. Pour the melted sugar/syrup mix all over the popcorn, stir in peanuts and mini marshmallows.
My mom usually makes this on Halloween, so she puts in a Halloween candy mix. With  like candy corn and those pumpkins and stuff in it. Its really good that way. You could put like jelly beans or any candy you wish really.



8 comments:

lizzie said...

I just bought that same popcorn maker in the summer. We love it....however, how do you butter yours? I usually just melt butter in the microwave and pour it on the popcorn but it makes it kinda mushy. Do you have any secrets?

p.s. I am excited to try this recipe out I LOVE marshmallows (like buddy the elf loves candy)

Sam Pierson said...

that sounds so good!

Judith @ Creating Balance said...

YUMMO! That popcorn maker reminds me of making popcorn with my grandmother before microwaves! I'm going to have to get me one of those!

The Splendiferous Life said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe..I just wrote it in my popcorn recipe book (yes I have a whole book my mom bought me for christmas with 50 different recipes)..I am your newest follower via..saturday blog hop.

sherry

http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.com

Kelli W said...

That sounds so yummy! I remember having a popcorn popper when I was little! I bet my boys would to see one of those in action:)

Vanessa@Lovin-Life said...

Yeah its a really great recipe I love it. I forgot to mention that it is best also if you let it sit for like ten minutes to kind of harden before you eat it...

And Lizzie, yeah I don't have any tips for the buttery popcorn, I just pour on regular butter and it does go all mushy, but honestly I like the mushy ones, I am a weirdo. But I do wish there was a way to make them not mushy cause my hubby doesn't like them like that. If you find out let me know!

Mariel@ www.sexymodeststyle.com said...

yummy yum yum


starting every monday over at www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com there will be giveaways and linky parties! so come and join in for some fun and inspiration!

-The tootsie wootsie

Elizabeth said...

I have an air popper that I rarely use! I think I'll be getting it out soon! Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! The party will be open all week if you'd like to link up multiple projects. Have a great day! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com