Jan 19, 2011

Bahama Mama's Tortilla Soup Recipe

My senior year in high school I worked at this place

Rumbi Island Grill
its like a fast casual place that serves 'Island Food' Which  is basically mostly rice bowls. Not sure if that is island food but whatever... But anyway I worked there for a year and in that time I fell in love with a soup they serve there. It was called 'Bahama Mama's Tortilla Soup'
It was amazing, and probably the first restaurant I had ever ordered soup at. I am not a huge soup person and I always felt like it was a waste to order soup and I usually only ever like Chicken Noodle soup. But after working there for a while, I eventually got sick of rice bowls and had to expand my horizons to getting soup.
It is one of the best soups ever!! Eventually I got the recipe online somewhere (I didn't work in the kitchen so I didn't know the exact recipe) and I have been making this baby for the last year or so. Its delicious.


Bahama Mama's Tortilla Soup

3 chicken Breasts
8 C. chicken broth
1 C water
1 carrot shaved thin
1 C. chopped onion
1/4 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp Ginger
1 T Garlic
1 c. chopped tomato
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 c. mozzarella cheese
2 c. white tortilla strips (fried or baked)
2 limes wedged


Grill chicken, cut into small chunks.
In large pot combine chicken, water, broth, and carrot. Add thyme, all spice, cinnamon, ginger, and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Then lower temp to med. and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Pour in tomato, hot sauce and coconut milk. Ladle into bowls top with cheese and tortilla strips. Squeeze lime juice over. Serve.

It tastes exactly like the one they make at Rumbi Grill.
It is a very thin brothy soup, which are my favorite kinds. But man it is amazing. I always add extra lime juice, cause I love lime juice on everything... And I fried my tortilla strips and a couple were a little extra crispy, but in the soup they tasted fine, next time I am just baking them, so much easier! (can you buy tortilla strips? That would be even easier?)


Here is another pic with less broth so you can see the chunkiness. (This is my bowl with the no cheese!) prior to having the tortilla strips. I didn't put tomatos in cause I didnt feel like it with them being so gross this time of year.

This post is making me hungry. Now I want to go eat leftover soup for lunch, and its only 930! I need breakfast.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Vanessa,

So glad I stumbled upon your blog via Fingerprints on the Fridge. I am featuring your tortilla soup and cute chicken soup fast for Souper Saturday & Other Treats on my blog. If it is not ok, please let me know. Glad to be a new follower. :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

Jana said...

Looks tasty! Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!