Jan 10, 2011

Week of Recipes Day 1, Thai Food

Week of Recipes Day #1
Thai style coconut chicken.

This is a super yummy recipe I got from my lovely Betty Crocker cookbook. That Betty really knows what she is doing, cause I love all of her recipes.

Thai Style Coconut Chicken

1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp grated lime peel
1 tsp grated ginger root
1 clove garlic finely chopped
2 Fresh Serrano chiles or 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 can (about 14 oz. ) coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 C. sugar snap pea pods
1 medium green bell pepper cut into 1 inch cubes
1 medium tomato, chopped.
1 Tbsp chopped Fresh basil leaves
Hot cooked white or Jasmine rice.

In nonstick wok or skillet heat oil over high heat. Add chicken; stir fry 2-3 minutes until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Add lime peal, ginger root, garlic, chiles and cilantro; stir fry 1 minute.
Pour coconut milk over chicken. Stir in brown sugar, salt, soy sauce, pea pods and bell pepper. Reduce heat to medium. simmer uncovered 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until veggies are crisp-tender. Stir in tomato.
Spoon into shallow serving bowls over rice. Top with Basil.


So first I start to cook my rice. I use my rice cooker. It is the best! I love it.

I know the recipe called for peas, peppers, and tomatoes,
but I don't like peas and I forgot to buy jalapenos so I used the cilantro, the bell peppers and I used crushed and dried red pepper flakes to give it a tiny kick. I have made this recipe before with the jalapeno and it tasted pretty similar using the red pepper flakes. Also I like it better without the tomatoes, plus tomatoes are totally gross this time of year, I love tomatoes but its so hard to find descent ones in the winter so I left those out as well.
I also didn't have lime peel so I just put in lime juice, about 2 Tbsp actually, more than it calls for, and I loved it that way. It really added some nice flavor to it, so the more lime juice the better I say. And my hubby also liked the addition of the lime juice.

Coconut Milk may sound weird if you haven't used it before, but its in actually quite a few dishes and I really like it. I will be making another recipe later this week with it actually. But its usually found in the Asian foods part of the grocery store. Stir it up after you open the can before you pour it in.

Here is it while its simmering. Since there are only two of us, I didn't put in a ton of chicken and peppers.
Usually I don't like sauces this creamy color, they usually have like sour cream or cream of chicken soup or something, which I can't eat. But this is way different. Its kinda sweet and not like milky (well its coconut milky but not cow's milk-milky. )

Me cooking!

Photo shoot!



It comes out soo good, like a sweet and spicy sauce. My hubby loved it and its now all gone.
If you try it tell me how it worked out for you.
Your gonna love it.


4 comments:

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said...

I can't wait to see what else you have in store for the week! And what a cute apron!!!

Jae said...

I love Thai food. Thanks for posting this!

Jess said...

Oh I need to make this. It looks wonderful and I haven't had Thai food in awhile.

~Jess

Chrystie said...

Looks delish! I'm your newest follower! Can't wait to try it! Yum! :)