Jan 23, 2011

Damask Coasters.


These coasters are seriously so easy to make, and totally cheap and you can make them to match your decor as well. I am loving them. So in case you want to make them too, here is my tutorial on how to make them. I saw this on a few other blogs out there (sorry it was a while ago, so I can't tell you which ones) but I made them a couple weeks ago and they are the greatest.

Step one: Get some square tiles at your hardware store. I went to Home Depot and they were like 16 cents each. So I boght sixteen of them, and spent like $2.50 , how sweet is that!

Here is the tile, I put it on lovely zebra fabric so you could see it better.


Step two: Get some cardstock and cut it out to fit your tile piece, I did mine just a little bit smaller than the tile. I chose Damask paper cause I love myself some damask print.


Step 3. with a foam paint brush, brush mod podge onto the tile, put the paper onto the tile and flatten out any air bubbles. Let it dry for a minute or so, then brush more mod podge onto the paper and tile again. Do a very light layer, too much mod podge will make the paper bubble. Here is a pic of the mod podge on the paper.
Step Four: Get a spray can of clear paint sealer and quickly spray it over each tile. Let it dry for a little bit.

Step five: Once all the tiles are dry, cut out squares of felt the same size as your tile.
{Felt!}
Now take your glue gun, put some glue the felt piece to the back of your tile.

{Glue on tile}


Voila! you are done.
{RED}


I did them in bundles of four, then tied them with a ribbon. I did two bundles of red, and two bundles of green. I gave one of the green ones to my aunt and kept one of the red ones for me. Now I need to decide who to give the other two to...



I just love them. I was a little skeptical at first that the paper wouldn't get wet or ruined or something when you put your glass on it, but its been two weeks and they have held up. The mod podge coating and the sealer coating really work well. And I am always spilling my water and stuff, so if they hold up for me, they will for anyone.


10 comments:

lizzie said...

these are too cute! i am going to make some for me, Thanks for the idea~

Rebecca said...

Such a cute idea! I have always wondered how they would hold up as coasters with just mod podge, but the clear sealer seems to be the trick. Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa@Lovin-Life said...

Thanks guys. I just thought of a new idea for them too. What if you like used stain on the tiles to make them more antique or something, I want to try that now... I wonder if the stain would work on the tiles.

Jana said...

I'm with you in loving damask!! Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Unknown said...

I LOVE these! They sound so easy to make! Popping over from Talent Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea! And Easy!

Deana said...

So cute, and what an awesome gift idea. I love this. Thanks for sharing!

-Deana @ www.countrybymarriage.com

Prairie Scraps said...

I love these! I may just make these for people for Christmas next year! Something different, but everyone can use!

abeachcottage said...

Thanks for sharing this idea. The coasters turned out really well. Could really use some of these as well. very cute.

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to do all this and even have all the supplies! Thanks for the motivation! Great job and wanted to let you know I'm passing on the Versatile Blogger Award to you! Check out my blog for all the details and great job!
Natalie
http://aturtleslifeforme.blogspot.com/