Jan 3, 2011

Clock = Chalkboard

So I had this clock that we got for our wedding and it was super cute and I loved it. But we have always had problems with it keeping time. At first it just went through batteries super super quickly. But then about six months ago it wouldn't tell time at all, it was always off. The second hand would still move and so would the other hands, but it just wouldn't keep real time. It was super annoying. But it was cute so I kept it up there. But for Christmas my father-in law gave us a new clock, hooray! So I hung it up where the old one had been. But I still thought this clock was cute, so I wanted to keep it...


{Old clock}

So I had this great plan to put scrapbooking paper over it and then put some vinyl words on it.
But the vinyl lettering I had didn't fit. And I dont have a cricuit or silhouette so I couldn't just make one that fit.... So I moved to plan B.
I still had a ton of Chalkboard paint left over from all my old Christmas projects so I took that out and painted the glass with the chalkboard paint.

{Clock after first coat}
I took off the outer parts of course, I am sloppy and totally would have got paint all over it.
Second coat drying...
Yes, that is wrapping paper under it. I didnt have any newspaper and I had to put something down. And I had all these smaller scraps of wrapping paper that was there, it worked.


Voila! The finished product. It looks pretty good. I wrote a bit crooked, I have a hard time writing straight, so it makes the clock look crooked, but its not. But not its a cute sayings chalkboard.
I might make it a menu board and put it in my kitchen, I haven't decided yet...

9 comments:

These Are The Days said...

Cute Vanessa, I've got chalk boards on my mind this week too so we'll see what I come up with.

Linsey Jackson said...

Cute and Clever!! I want a chalkboard and a magnet board.. lol :) I need to get going!!

Ashley Ziegler said...

I love it! This is so cute :)

Sam Pierson said...

thats so cool! love it! its so fetch.

lindsey said...

I creative...I really need to get creative and decorate this dang apt!! Ill have to use some of your ideas =] Haa we'll see if i actually ever get around to it before me and jake move.

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Great idea! I hope you'll come share it at the craft catwalk!
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/2011/01/craft-catwalk-11.html

Stacy Risenmay said...

How creative! I love when people reuse things. Thanks for linking up!

Jana said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Judith @ Creating Balance said...

LOVE it! Great idea!!