Jun 3, 2012

Chicken & Beef Fajitas

So... How ya liking the new look? I have to change every few months, I get bored of the same style.


I have been craving fajitas the last couple months. Its weird cause I never really loved them that much. But now I want to eat them every night! 
In March when I went to New Mexico, my mom's friend made these fajitas and that is what got me hooked, they were really good. I didn't have the recipe, so I made up my own. But my mom finally got the recipe from her. So I mixed the new recipe with the one I invented and Bam! Wonderful. 
So when I make up my own recipes, I don't really measure anything. I just keep adding stuff until I like how it tastes. That is what I did with this fajita recipe. So I am estimating here, but I would tweek it to your liking. Its an easy meal, and simple to make your own.



Chicken & Beef Fajitas

1 lb chicken breasts, cubed. 
1/2 lb thin beef steak, sliced thin. 
1 Green Pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced 
4 to 6 tortillas 
1 pack McCormick Fajita Seasoning
1/2 C. Water
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
red pepper flakes (add to your level of spiciness) 
1 Tbsp olive oil ( margarine or veggie oil works too)

In large pan, heat chicken, beef, green peppers and onions in olive oil. Add cumin, pepper, chili powder, salt and garlic powder, stir. Cook until chicken is almost cooked through, stirring often.. Add water. Continue cooking on about med (okay whatever 7 is on your stove top, cook it on that) until water reduces down a bit, then add McCormick seasoning packet and mix it all up. Add lime juice, vinegar and red pepper flakes, stir. Continue cooking until water is reduced down pretty low and has made a kind of thin-ish sauce. 
You're done! Enjoy.

NOTE: I did not have a McCormick Seasoning packet and that is what my mom's friend said she used. I did however have the McCormick Fajita Seasoning that comes in the spice container, so I used that. I used about 1 1/2 Tbsp of that, maybe a bit more...


I also recommend using the uncooked tortillas you can get at your grocery store in the refrigerator section. I used to buy the already made, ready to serve kind, but the uncooked kind is soo SOOO SOO much better. I will never go back. They are like a dollar or so more, but so worth it, and they only take like a minute to cook. The other kind seriously would like break in half whenever I would fold it over for a burrito or something, but these kind don't. 

I love this rice, its Zatarans Black Beans and Rice. It went great with the fajitas.




** Update**

I love to puree vegetables and put them in dinners. This is a great one to do that with. I love summer Squash added to this recipe. 








No comments: