May 16, 2012

Semi-Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This was the main dish, or primo in Italian, that my hubby made for our anniversary dinner . It was semi-homemade, so he used Prego as the base, but added extra to it. It was super delicious. And I think one jar of prego doesn't actually go that far, but this like doubled the amount of sauce it made. So I think I will do this recipe for most of the time now when I make spaghetti (which is often since it is an easy meal to make)

Spaghetti & Meat Sauce

3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 med. onion diced
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 C. Ground Basil
1 lb ground beef
1 Jar Prego Traditional Spaghetti Sauce (or your favorite kind, I love the garlic kind or the kind with Italian sausage)
1 lb. Spaghetti pasta
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Bring large pot of water to a boil, salt the water and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add pasta. (The oil helps the pasta from sticking)
Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside. 
While pasta is cooking, heat skillet over med. heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add in ground beef, crumble as it browns. Cook 8-10 minutes or until beef is cooked through. Drain fat from beef, set aside. Heat a separate large pot over med. Grease the pot with a drizzle of olive oil, add garlic ad saute garlic for 2 minutes. Add onions and tomatoes with the garlic in the pot. When tomatoes and onions are soft, pour in Prego sauce. 
Stir in the cooked ground beef into the pot as well. 
Cook for 15 minutes. 
Stir in basil. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. 
Add noodles to plate, pour sauce over noodles. Enjoy!

My hubby also cooked some Italian Sausage and placed it on the side. I love Italian Sausage (oh man I am really refraining from writing a dirty joke in here...) But anyway you could cook that up and serve it on the side, or slice it up and add it to the sauce. 

UPDATE:
I love to add pureed vegetables to my meals to pump up my veggie intake, you can read about it HERE. This is a great recipe to add pureed zucchini and/or carrots to the sauce. I like zucchini in the sauce the best. You can't taste it and it gives you so much more vegetables and vitamins!



No comments: